Wednesday, 22 April 2009

cardboard creations...

'Creativity in Context'...what does it mean to me? In terms of my Spatial project, I am intersested in the use of sustainable materials within my design project for the exterior and interior shells. Presently I have not done much research into such materials, however my previous post has sparked something within me, so I decided to do some further research into cardboard...

I have become interested in the use of cardboard for the interior shell...cardboard is a easily mailable material that can be used in a variety of situations. Cardboard had been previously used for a wide range of uses including an office space for the company 'Nothing' in Amsterdam;

The concept, designed by Alrik Koudenburg and Joost van Bleiswijk, uses cardboard pieces slotted together and constructed without the use of glue or nails. I particularly like how the cardboard has been used to create the beams for the construction of the space, as well as the more refined details such as tables and bookshelves. I was also very impressed with how much the cardboard has been used for within the office, the only extras are the soft furnishings, IT equipment and design materials.

I have also come across a cafe constructed from small cardboard boxes... These boxes were glued together to form walls, seats, tables and a counter from where drinks were sold. Made from 8000 boxes edged with fluorescent orange, the Cardboard Cafe combines minimal design with the notion of recycling and reusing.



I like the temporary-ness of this project and it's impact on the environment. I would be interested to learn what happened to the cardboard boxes following the end of the project, as to whether they were utilised in another project by the designers; B3 Designers.

It was interesting to find that Universities are encouraging the use of cardboard within design concepts... http://www.dsgnwrld.com/finalists-of-cardboard-chair-design-student-competition-unveiled-4652/ Finalists of the Cardboard chair competition are featured, showing the range of designs that cardboard can be used for. My personal favourite is the chair designed in the shape of a doughnut as I like how the cardboard seems to have been woven and intertwined.


No comments:

Post a Comment